There are times when you need to cut out sections of an image in GIMP. There are several different ways to do this. Let’s talk about the different methods of cutting out sections of an image in GIMP.
Square Selection Tool in GIMP *
The Square selection tool is pretty easy. First select the square selection tool. When you do you will see Tool Options below.
Adjust the parameters to your liking. Here are the parameters for the square selection tool.
- Feather Edges
- Use this if you want soft edges where you cut.
- Rounded Corners
- Use this if you want rounded corners
- Expanded from center
- Use this if you want the center of the cut to be your main focus point.
- Fixed Aspect Ratio
- You can have a height, width or Size fixed aspect ratio. You can adjust the size by entering the number of pixels in the box.
- You can adjust the position of you box by editing the numbers. THey are horizontal and vertical on the picture.
- After selecting you can adjust the size of the selection.
- You can use highlight so that it darkens out the background of the non selected items.
- Rule of 3rds, FIfths can be set here. This helps when you are trying to get a certain measurement in the selection tool. This is more a guide tool
Round Selection Tool for GIMP *
The next selection tool that you will see in GIMP is the round selection tool. When you click on the round selection tool you will get tool options. The round selection tool mimics the square selection tool for its options.
Lasso Selection Tool for GIMP *
The lasso selection tool comes in handy when you are wanting to get an odd shape out of a picture.
Tool options for the fuzzy selection tool *
- Antialiasing is the smoothing of the image or sound roughness caused by aliasing .
- Feather Edges
- Feathered edged is like a gradient edge.
- Select Transparent Areas
- You can also select transparent parts of an image.
- Sample Merged
- It is useful when you are working on an image with several layers and the active layer is either semi-transparent or has a Layer Mode which is not set to Normal.
- When increased you can select a wider array of colors or a less array of colors.
- Select by:
Fuzzy Selection Tool (Magic Wand) *
The fuzzy selection tool often referred to as the magic wand is another way to make selections. It tries to find similar colors in one region.
Select By Color Tool *
The different between this tool and the fuzzy select tool is all colors will be selected. Fuzzy select tool selects the colors connected to each other. Select by color tool selects all colors on your image if they are connected or not.
Scissors Select Tool – Select Shapes using Intelligent Edge Fitting *
This is a great tools to use for those odd shapes. This tool tries to find the edges of your image as you click around it.
Foreground Selection Tool *
This is a really good tool to use when you are wanting to select a foreground image. Please see the video for instructions.
References for GIMP *
Please like, share and subscribe.
I hope you enjoyed the article. If I was able to help you please consider a tip for the content.
One Time Tip